Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 84th ed - Review of the online version
Courtesy of Dana Roth at CalTech, a review of the new online version of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics:
- - Substance search has 5 pre-selected search fields: name (with left/right
truncation), MF (Hill order), CAS RN, common formula (e.g. NaCl), and/or MW
(value or range*). Each value has a pull down menu (=,>,<, etc.) and a
linked 'hints' file.
- Increase in number of interactive tables from 46 to 63. Once the data is displayed, additional options are available (sort, display structure, export table to Excel, etc.)
- Improved table manipulation - access speeds improved, left-hand column lockable for easier viewing
- - Completely revised, reformatted and enhanced Physical Constants of Organic
Compounds table. The 11,000 compounds have been selected on the basis of
their importance in research, teaching, industrial applications, and
health/safety considerations. Structure diagrams have been redrawn and
physical constant values have been updated with results from recent
- Chemical carcinogens - are now with updated data from the recent NTP 10th Report on Carcinogens
- Critical Constants table - expanded and updated values of Tc, Pc and Vc, as well as Tb for 858 fluids. These parameters are widely used as input to various estimation schemes. Literature references have been added.
- Other refinements and new topics include: Properties of Refrigerants, Fermi Energy and Related Properties of Metals, Flame and Bead tests, Density of ethanol-water mixtures, Interstellar Molecules, Directory of Physical and Chemical Data Sources, Ionization Potentials of Atoms and Neutron Cross Sections.
As a member of the Editorial Advisory Board for the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, I would very much appreciate your suggestions regarding "desired features and functionality" as well as any other concerns about its content and functionality.
For those of you with access to the web version, please contact the CRC helpdesk directly if you experience any access problems.
Dana L. Roth
Millikan Library / Caltech 1-32
1200 E. California Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91125
626-395-6423 fax 626-792-7540
Our thanks to Dana for submitting this review for STLQ.